Listen, Learn, Act
Listening to patients, carers and staff, learning from what they say when things go wrong and take action to improve patients’ safety.
Sign up to Safety is designed to help realise the ambition of making the NHS the safest healthcare system in the world by creating a system devoted to continuous learning and improvement. This ambition is bigger than any individual or organisation and achieving it requires us all to unite behind this common purpose. We need to give patients confidence that we are doing all we can to ensure that the care they receive will be safe and effective at all times.
Sign up to Safety aims to deliver harm-free care for every patient, every time, everywhere.It champions openness and honesty and supports everyone to improve the safety of patients.
Sign up to Safety’s 3 year objective is to reduce avoidable harm by 50% and save 6,000 lives.
The five pledges
- Putting safety first. Commit to reduce avoidable harm in the NHS by half and make public our locally developed goals and plans
- Continually learn. Make our organisation more resilient to risks, by acting on the feedback from patients and staff and by constantly measuring and monitoring how safe our services are
- Being honest. Be transparent with people about our progress to tackle patient safety issues and support staff to be candid with patients and their families if something goes wrong
- Collaborating. Take a lead role in supporting local collaborative learning, so that improvements are made across all of the local services that patients use
- Being supportive. Help people understand why things go wrong and how to put them right. Give staff the time and support to improve and celebrate progress.