Neurology is a branch of medicine dealing with disorders of the nervous system. The nervous system is divided into two main parts
- Central Nervous System (CNS): brain and spinal cord
- Peripheral Nervous System (PNS): nerves that connect the CNS to every other part of the body
A neurologist is a physician specialising in the diagnosis and management of conductions affecting the nervous system.
The department consists of three consultant staff and includes visiting consultants in neuroradiology (Dr R Gunny) and neurophysiology (Dr H Modarres) based primarily at other hospitals. As well as general neurology clinics, a range of specialist outpatient clinics are provided. There are also a number of clinical nurse specialists who provide a range of outpatient clinics.
The department has strong links with the Atkinson Morley Regional Neurosciences Centre based at St George’s University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (London); and works closely with other services including Neurophysiology, Neuroradiology, Neuropsychology, Neuropsychiarty and Neurosurgery at both St George’s Hospital (London) and Hurstwood Park Neurosciences Centre (West Sussex).
Contact for clinicians:
A neurology registrar at St George’s Hospital is available 24 hours a day for urgent advice out of hours.
Central Booking Office: 01737 784000
Neurology Service Manager:
East Surrey Hospital: 01737 768511
- Secretary to Dr J Kimber: Anna Williams x6754
- Secretary to Dr V Apostu: Valerie Gomez x2971
Crawley Hospital: 01293 600300
- Secretary to Dr J Kimber and Dr V Apostu: Mary-Anne Romain x3761
East Surrey Hospital, Canada Avenue, Redhill, Surrey, RH1 5RH
Crawley Hospital, West Green Drive, Crawley, RH11 7DN (Out-patient clinics only)
- General neurology clinics – every day, Monday to Thursday
- Specialist neurology clinics
- Regional neurology ward at St George’s Hospital for the treatment of complex neurological conditions.
- Advice to GPs within East Surrey, North-East Wessex and South Croydon areas.